2015年1月13日星期二

CDE REFLECTION
For the last 2 lessons, we have been comparing the difference between the Eastern cultures and values and the Western ones. We have learnt a lot of new things about the Western culture such as the 12 core American values. I realize that I have little knowledge about the western values. I do not know that things like material comfort and equality are the core values of the Americans. Some of the values really surprise me that I would not think that they are the core values of Americans originally. I have also learnt that the some Eastern values are actually the same as the Western values. For example achievement and success. We tend to work very hard to achieve our targets such as getting a good result or get into a good university. The Americans also tend to work hard to achieve their goals too. However, the some Eastern Values are different from the Western ones. Material comfortis one good example. For us, we do not really care about good-looking a dress is. We would choose the ones that has the greatest value or the most suitable one.We had also watched 2 videos about Google during the second lesson, i am really impressed by the Google Company, about their facilities such as buffet and free Gyms. I am looking forward to work there some day, if I can.Even the long queue has a meaning there. Which is to allow people to have time to talk to each other.I also enjoy learning the cultures now, instead of the past. For the last 2 years, we have been focusing too much on the past, like World Wars or the Singapore history. I think that learning present culture is also very important and i really enjoy my CDE lessons! 
12 core American Values
1.     Individualism
2.    Achievement and success
3.    Activity and work
4.    Efficiency and practicality
5.    Science and technology
6.    Progress
7.    Material comfort
8.    Humanitarianism
9.    Freedom
10. Democracy
11. Equality
12. Racism and group superiority

What do I expect to learn:

  •   More concrete examples about the similarities and differences between the East and the West cultures


  •  The society and government of the East and West

1/13/15 Wang Yi Kun copyright 

3 条评论:

  1. Hi Yikun
    It’s a nice reflection that you have wrote. CDE has really taught us a lot of the American values that we did not know about. The 12 values are the main thing we learnt for the first 2 lessons. I have to agree with you that some of these 12 values seems weird to be one of the values. Like education, the Asians seem to work very hard to get into a good university but the Americans seems very slack in their early school life. It seems to be weird that education is one of their values. There are similarities and difference in the culture. The Americans definitely want a lot of material comfort like phones and cars while the traditional Chinese does not. I can see that you have learnt a lot from the 2 lessons and you wish to learn even more in the future. I hope you enjoy CDE lessons as much as I do.

    -Wang Ming Chuan

    回复删除
  2. Dear YK

    It's a great reflection that you have written. you have good understanding in the 12 values of US. you are also able to understand the difference in the values of US and China, and you have given a good example about it. The chinese values tends to be very different, but it can also be very similar. Therefore, as we walk down the path of CDE education, I hope you can find out more about the differences, and the similarities of the two societies. I hope you enjoy CDE lessons as much as I do.

    Peace

    回复删除
  3. Hi Yi Kun,
    It is a nice reflection from you. I think that your comments on the things taught for CDE are quite interesting. You are the first person that I saw that actually said that the American values surprises you. Now I come to think of it, I actually also did not think that some of the values are the core values of Americans. You also did a nice comparison between the Eastern values and Western ones. You said that you enjoyed the CDE lessons and I hope that you will be able to learn more new and interesting things during CDE in the future.

    回复删除